.Jobs Discussion Board
October 24, 2017, 06:02:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Note: The discussion board requires a separate registration.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Revision of .Jobs TLD Unfairly Affects Smaller Employers  (Read 10063 times)
Data Frenzy

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »

I listened to Direct Employers (Chad Sowash) attempt to make the argument that ALL employers, large and small, will benefit from the existence of industry, occupation and location named .JOBS domains.  Any employer with a .JOBS domain will automatically have their jobs included in the database for display on these new domains, and Chad stated that any employer who does not own a .JOBS domain can have their jobs listed by presenting the job to a local workforce center which will input the job into the .JOBS jobs database.

What Chad failed to state is that every local workforce center has differing procedures for accepting, then inputting the jobs - but one thing is consistent: it's a manual process which usually involves re-typing of the entire job posting by clerical staff employed by the workforce center. 

We manage over 125,000 active jobs for our clients, many of whom require us to post their jobs to local workforce centers to fulfill their OFCCP requirements.  To say that we work extensively with the local workforce centers is an understatement.  Our data indicates that only 1 of every 3 jobs ever gets posted by a workforce center.  And the most common reason cited for the job not posting is the workforce center claims to have not received the job posting; when we resubmit a job posting, we do so using the exact same procedure as the initial submission.  What we have deduced is the posting of jobs by local workforce centers is at the lowest priority of tasks for them to complete, and as a result:  1. If the task is completed it can take several weeks; 2. Jobs manually input by workforce centers are plagued with spelling and grammatical errors (deterring high quality prospective applicants).

If this .JOBS initiative is approved, smaller employers will need to purchase a .JOBS domain of their own (which requires an annual fee, a web development company to build a site on the .JOBS domain, and a hosting company to host the website).  For a small employer, these are significant costs and time commitments.  The employer who does not purchase a .JOBS domain is limited to working with a local workforce center.  Inevitably, this means jobs from larger employers will have better placement in front of job seekers, and smaller employers are left to work with the candidates rejected by the larger employers.

Is this really fair to disadvantage small businesses across the country simply because they do not have the knowledge, funds or resources to purchase a .JOBS domain?  The .JOBS domain has been a failure amongst larger employers to date, this revision appears to me as an attempt at "revival", yet the exclusive network that is being created will adversely affect the quality of talent running our nations small businesses.  Let us not forget that in the US small businesses (companies that employ less than 500 employees) employ over half of all private sector employees (source: SBA).

Keith
HelenJames

I'm on [url=http://twitter.com]Twitter[/url] and my [url=http://www.essaysexperts.com]essays[/url]

76481353 helenjames@mail333.com HelenJames HelenJames
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:28:41 AM »

Something alike was discussed on the ask.com,i can give someone a link if anybody need it

I'm on Twitter and my essay
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: